Sunday 8 May 2011

October 2010

And so another month passes.  Another month of 4 swims a week, with one being a continuous non-stop one and with as many gyms as we can physically handle when trying to run a family and hold down a full-time job.  I have to say it’s a complete pleasure working alongside Karen.  Her enthusiasm to succeed in this challenge certainly makes my job a little easier.  October’s continuous non-stop swim of 8k has now been achieved in the pool with a very reasonable time from Karen of 2hrs 40mins.  We had already achieved this distance at Dover back in September and in some respects, doing it in the cold sea is actually easier than a pool.  You need so much focus for swimming up and down in 30 degrees in the pool, and it’s boring.  You are swimming the same bit of water over and over again and the heat just zaps up your energy levels so quick.

This month, I had a poignant trip down memory lane when a failed attempt to swim in the sea one Sunday morning, meant that we ended up in Warrier Square baths.  My old haunt from my childhood days that saw me progress from County swimmer to an international back in the ‘70’s. As we swum through our 6.4k there, all I could think about was the 1000’s of lengths I had clocked up in those baths as a child while my dad, who is no longer with me, slept outside in the car at ridiculous o’clock in the morning.  I drifted away in my own little world on this morning remembering how many hours my parents had sat on that very poolside every week, encouraging me to succeed.  Sad to say that this very weekend, Warrier Square baths has closed for good.  But, I am happy to say, that my coach from those days, Mike Higgs who now lives in South Africa, still speaks to me on Facebook and is following our channel experience.  And not to forget my swim mate from those days, Penny Palfrey (Pedley) back then, and now the open water Queen of Australia, is also giving so much welcomed support and advice all the way from down-under. 



The past month has seen my house being turned into a circuit training area.  Hubby came home to ‘Sit ups and push ups are being done on the landing dear’, bike, weights, trampoline is in the back bedroom, medicine ball in the hallway, not to forget jogging up and down the stairs – oh and then there’s Wi-fit core body strengthening in half hours time in the garden room.  Luckily, he loves spending lots of time in the garage polishing his golf clubs! 

I guess the most memorable thing for this month has to be the low temperature that we are now swimming in.  Another book we are both reading at the moment is Lewis Gordon Pugh – Achieving the Impossible’.  Hopefully, by the end of the book, he will have taught us how to ‘train our minds’ to achieving the cold-water challenge.  He is known as the Ice-man or Polar Bear and once swum 1k in minus 2 degrees to bring awareness to environmental protection.  Swimming in 14 degrees is just about bearable for the likes of Karen and me, as long as you have ‘trained your mind’ so to speak, that you are capable of doing it.  And just dropping half a degree less than that, you really notice it.  So our 1 hour and 10mins in 10.5 degrees in Southend last weekend left us (apart from hypothermic), elated.  I guess, if you can do 1 hour in 10.5, it maybe equivalent of surviving several hours in 14 degrees.  That’s the theory we are working on anyway.  Get our bodies used to swimming in this temperature so it no longer becomes something new to us.

It’s hard to explain, but when the alarm goes off on a cold frosty morning, it’s dark and the house is lovely and warm, and it’s quiet and your hubby is all tucked up in bed, fast asleep.  What possesses someone to get out of that very warm cozy bed, and head off to the beach to swim, in ice cold temperatures just as the sun is rising.   The answer is simple – Prepare yourself for your challenge to succeed.  And we just pop back into a nice warm bed when we get home.  Life’s too short.  It’s for living.  My life was full, happy and complete before Karen came back into it full-time, but now, I realise there is always room to make it more complete.  Anyone who wishes they had the time to full-fill a challenge – just do it.  By saying, I wouldn’t have the time to prepare, it’s another way of saying, I have managed to find an excuse not to do it.  We are living proof that if you want something badly enough – then you do have the time to do it.  You just adjust your daily priorities/routine accordingly.  Karen wants this challenge to succeed and I need to ensure she succeeds in her challenge.  And whats more, I am gaining experience for my own needs later on and so this year I am really enjoying myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment