Sunday 8 May 2011

July 2010 - The Great Pier Swim

Just one month back into training and what better way to kick off the 'new me', than with an open-water race.  The Southend Great Pier Swim.  The great thing about this race was that I hadn't trained for it, wasn't bothered if I came first or last and just wanted to see how I could cope with an open-water event. So as usual, I throw myself in at the deep end and off I go, coupled with my 'Jaws' theme ticking away in my brain, I am about to do my first ever open-water race.  Karen was absolutely petrified, nerves were getting the better of her and I was just prancing up and down with a big smile on my face and so excited to be back.




Result : Fantastic.  Loved it.  Won my age group (OK I know, I was the only 50+ woman in it), but more to the point, I came 13th overall, men and women combined of all ages out of about 60+ something.  And whats more, I didn't come across JAWS!

No comments:

Post a Comment