Monday 16 May 2011

May 15th 2011 The Great Swim - Salford

Sunday 15 May saw me in my first 'real' open water race.  Southend pier swim last year was non wetsuit and just to test out my fitness levels having been back in the water for just 1 month and then I did do the Swimfest, but it was disastrous.  I was already injured before the race started and practically cried my way round the course.  I have had 6 months of open water training, have now got used to swimming in a wetsuit and this is the first race of the season for me.

It was lovely travelling to Manchester on Saturday, because I had no nerves whatsoever and was just really excited about the forthcoming race.  I hadn't a clue what the competition in my age category was like having been out of the game for so long so had nothing to lose.  I hope I can maintain this 'attitude' throughout the whole Great Swim Series this year as I really want to enjoy races in my older age rather than get all those butterflies in the stomach that we are all so familiar with when you start learning the names of your rivals.

The morning of Sunday 15 May, the weather was abominable.  It was freezing, windy and raining.


We watched the early waves enter the water and then had to listen to some stories of just how cold that water was.  I have always suffered from 'brain freeze' and this was the only thing that was worrying me.  I would wear two swimming caps and make use of the acclimatisation 5mins before the race start - or so I thought.  I passed our time by trying on a super-dupa blueseventy wetsuit.  And I am not exaggerating when I say it took me about 15 mins to get it past me knees.  They had given me a small/medium and anyone who knows me, knows that I would certainly not class myself in this size.  It took three people to get me into this wetsuit, this can't be right I thought.  I laid on the floor (in a brand new suit that I hadn't purchased yet), while the assistant stood astride me pulling it up from the bottom upwards.  Surely I don't have to go through this each time?  Once properly fitted, I couldn't breathe.  Just relax and you will relax yourself into it.  Yeh right!  But hey presto, 5 mins later, I realised I was comfortable and that they actually did know what they were talking about.  At this point I think hubby took pitty on me.  I was only trying out suits to pass the time but after all the palava, he agreed to buy it for me.  Thank god for that, coz there weren't anyway I was gonna get this thing off in a hurry.

So I stayed in the suit, pulled down to my waist for the next two hours.  We went back and watched some more waves and watched the weather get worse.  At this point Ian Thorpe was being interviewed and we were positioned just at the entrance gate to the celebrity area.  Just as they tried to whisk him away to continue commentary on the course, I saw my moment and grabbed it.  Don't think his security was very impressed, but he was polite and obliging so I managed to get this lovely picture.  How cool was that.

Race time came, and with the help of my lovely assistants once again, they squeezed me back into the top half of the wetsuit.  I never thought for one moment that I would test a suit out in an actual race, but once it was on, it actually really did fit extremely well and I was so comfortable and I didn't have the energy to get it off!

Once over to the start post, I realised our wave wasn't going to get the acclimatisation 5mins due to the real elite swimmers being in there.  So again, I worried how I would deal with the brain freeze.  My goggles were misty and wet from the rain and I had left my ear plugs in my bag, which by now had been carted off to the finish post.  So as usual, a professional start by Bettsy.  I'm so disorganised its untrue.  I didn't map the course out first either, how stupid was that.  God only knows I had enough time!   Live and learn Bettsy.

Our wave started 5mins after the elites and I think the pure adrenalin rush for me just washed away my worry about brain freeze and I'm pleased to say, it didn't happen.  My ears were OK too.  What a relief I felt during the first few strokes when I realised everything was good.

And so that was it, I put my head down and went.  I soon realised I had forgotten how to race.  I went out far too quick and soon got out of breath.  Whilst I have been doing all this endurance training with Karen, I have completely lost my speed and stamina so I had to re-focus, and settle down quickly or I knew I wouldn't make the distance at this pace.

When my feet touched the bottom at the finishing line, I was dizzy.  I knew I had pushed myself hard without the 'race training' and I think it was just down to the sudden blast of energy from nothing that sent me giddy.  I carefully walked through the finishing zone concentrating on not fainting.

I won the 50+ ladies age group, I was the 24th fastest woman overall and came 106th (with all categories/genders taken into consideration), out of 2000.  So I was delighted with the result.  The problems I encountered tho, make me realise, I am capable of better.  25mins 48secs but I know I am capable of sub 25.


No comments:

Post a Comment