Friday 13 May 2011

Friday 13th !!!!! (May 2011)

Went off to Southend on Sea for a sunset swim with Chalkwell Redcaps.  Although I renewed my membership this year, I had not managed to swim with the team thus far due to channel training with Karen.  So I begged my little water slave for a night off from the River so that I could say Hi to the Redcaps and remind them all what I looked like!

About 15 of us braved the choppy seas at 8.30p.m.  Sun had already gone down behind a dark cloud, it was windy and grim.


As we all chatted on the beach employing our 'delaying antics' waiting for the organiser, Iain, to arrive (and secretly hoping he had changed his mind), the muttered words of 'are we mad' echo'ed all around.

Anyway, as 'dippy duck' went in for his usual temperature check, a surprised 17.5 degrees was recorded.  Fantastic.  The night air was cold, so what better way to get warm quick, - get in the sea.


I swam with Dominic and Mark to start with as my trustee partner Nick had decided to be 'stupid' once again and swim off by himself (obviously he still hadn't learnt from his rapid hypothermic incident in the river last week when both me and Karen had to rescue the stronger swimmer - MEN!), and we were pleasantly surprised at the warmth of the water.

Missed Karen though so hopefully she had a good river swim with hubby.

So off to Manchester now - The Great Swim.  BBC2 2p.m. Really looking forward to racing again - albeit all this long distance channel training has obviously played havoc with my speed but who cares, I am gonna enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment