Saturday 4 August 2012

June 30 2012 - The Great Pier Swim - Southend

The most talked about event of the year, mainly because this is on our home ground.  This is where The Chalkwell Redcaps Open Water Swimming Club do all their training so we were strong contenders for this event.  The weather was yet again, horrid but that would not deter the 50+ Redcap members from completing either the 3k race or the 3k challenge.  Challengers were allowed to wear a wetsuit, whilst the racers were not.  Hundreds of swimmers lined the beach at The Sea Life Centre in Southend, awaiting for the start which would see them finishing at Thorpe Bay Yacht Club.  It was a fantastic atmospher and for me, made all the enjoyable as I had both my boys there.  Incredibly as it may seem my 25 and 21 year old are capable of exiting their beds at 7a.m. in the morning to see what Mum does in her spare time!  Loved you being there boys, thankyou for your support and the incredible effort you made to drag yourselves out of bed. x.  I am sure that was more of a challenge than your mums 3k race which was just about to start!

It was lovely to see Phil Harper there too who had emailed me just that week to ask if I was doing the event as he would come down and say Hi.  Phil and I go back over 40 years!!!  I met him at Basildon Swimming Club when I was just 14 years old and we have trained together for many many years at Basildon and Rochford.  Over the last 10 years or so, we have gone our separate ways in our swimming, but have kept in touch via email and the odd dinner, so today it was great to see him on the beach (I will convert him from pool to sea one day).

And Brian Hammond, my old coach (old as in long time ago!), who always keeps up with his swimmers and supports them on local ground.  Great to see you Brian.

As the 'skins' made their way into the cold water, the challengers, all snug in their suits waited and watched as we went off.

The weather was atrocious.  windy, high waves and it made for a very very memorable swim.   I won the ladies over 50 and came about 9th (I think) overall.  Great fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment