Sunday 3 June 2012

June 2012. Great London Swim & Eton 10k

A weekend to remember.
Just when I was starting to panic that I would never be ready for the open-water season, the gods finally came good.   Sunshine - and heaps of it.   Previously, I had a trip to Stubbers Adventure park and plopped myself into the minus 12 degree waters for my first open water dip of the season. 

Suffering from ice cream headache, I doggie-paddled round the 1k loop and then shivered all the way back to the changing rooms.   On my own, (as everyone else seemed to manage more than 1 lap), hypothermia set in and as my fingers shook vigourously, I struggled to remove my locker key from my costume. What a state to be in.   No choice but to stand in the red hot showers (bad move), in my wetsuit for 20mins.  I had a migraine all day, Why?   I had to do some research. 
Next day, I headed off to the sea and plastered a tub of vaseline on my forehead, (advice from Derek), pulled two swim hats down over the mess and put on the extra large goggles that Derrick (another Derrick) had lent me. That should do the trick.  Nope!   3 x 200metre laps of the Crowstone Crawl, and I was in trouble once again.   And whats more, coz I lifted the goggles off to tread water and hold my head in agony, I managed to get vaseline all over my fingers, then I put the goggles back on, the ice-cold water turned the vaseline white - and now I am blind (as well as stupid)!

But then, a miracle happened.  My prayers were answered, twice over!  Windsor 3.8k is cancelled due to severe bad weather.  RESULT.  I have another whole week to acclimatise!  Then miracle no. 2 happened, a whole week of glorious sunshine and the water temperatures crept up daily. Halaluya.   London Docklands here I come.



The day was made extra special because my mum came to watch us. The Excel centre had a Heroes convention going on, so as well as several thousand arriving for the swimming, there was equal amount of people dressed up in costumes.   Chris, now a 'swimmer' and not a 'golfer',  has been training, (sort of) with me but this was going to be his first ever 1 mile distance.  

 
It was lovely to have him right beside me (if only for the warm up routine and the acclimatisation dip) as there was no way he was gonna be anywhere near me when that gun went off “!  


Kerri Ann Payne was looking absolutely gorgeous as she always does and I managed to get my photo done with her. Beauty and the Beast comes to mind in this photo, (sorry Kerri - but you really look rough without any make up!!).  

This was the first race I have ever done where I had no nerves. I am enjoying my new found sport so much and I don’t want to be competitive with anyone any more. Those days are gone. I just want to set my own targets and race my own race.

Shivvers and Me just before our race.
My 2012 goal is to beat 25minutes for the mile and being capable of doing sub 23 in a pool, I am hopeful its a fairly realistic target.

The weather and conditions dictate your swims for you.  Fast currents, strong winds, ribs motoring up and down, causing waves, all play a part.  The Great London had a strong head wind to swim into and I had a bad zig-zagging day all round the course, so hence a crap time of 25.52.   Never mind. I came 55th out of 1,684 competitors and was the winner of the ladies over 50 category.   Chris was 640th.
It was lovely at the finish line to have mum there and after I collected all the goodies they give you and had my photo shoot, it was back to the finish line to wait for Chris. 33 minutes and bless him, he looked knackered but he loved it
Every 1/2 hour, another 300 competitors set off into the glorious sunshine

Taken from the start as the swimmers head off
And the pink wave hit the waters
Followed by the green wave
Me, Chris, Shaun (Shivers) Derek. Just four of many Redcaps there today encouraging one another, no matter what our standard, we are a team. x.

ETON 10k
Back home, I had the perfect excuse for no housework today, I had to get up at 5.30a.m. and head off to Eton for a 10k race. Once again we had lots of Redcaps in the 10k so we all travelled in a minibus together which added to the team spirt.
The organisation was a bit hectic. Only 4 portaloos between almost 400 swimmers and even more spectators, so we were 15 minutes late for registering. I headed off to the bushes for a wee as it was the only option and met my poor friend Helen just returning from the bushes with severe nettle rash all up her legs.  Nice.  
Looks very inviting doesn't it.  The calm before the storm.
Now, let me see - who's juice shall I steal!  Redcaps were organised, we had a bucket with all our stuff in.  This was just a small section at the nutrition pit stop, it was about 15 meters long.  So if you didn't have a flag sticking out of your bottle, you had no chance finding it.

As the hours went on, the field spread out.
AND SO TO THE RACE
I hate wearing a wetsuit, I fight it all the time as I feel claustrophobic. I prefer to feel the water.   But I also hate feeling cold  - so dilemma!  We were told the water was 19 degrees.  Thats a good temperature for a short distance but can I stay in it for up to 3 hours?  As I crept up the queue to register I heard the three people in front of me say "non wetsuit", so when I got to the table, I found myself saying "non wetsuit".  Ooops!    I knew I would be uncomfortable wearing a wetsuit for 3 hours so now I am just going to be uncomfortable freezing for 3  hours instead. 





We were like sardines bobbing around in a tiny warm up area and when that gun went off, it was chaos. Only a small gap to get through, so the first 1k was like swimming in a washing machine.  The most dangerous mass start I have ever participated in.  400 swimmers had to squeeze between narrow starting posts, all fighting for water.  Hence I came home with several cuts and bruises.
  


I love the video below of how to train for a mass swim start. It is honestly just like this.




I went round the first 1k with Derrick Griffiths but then I lost him on the turn buoy amongst all the arms and legs that were battering me.  I wished I had kept with him.  We are usually the same pace, but with so many swimmers fighting for clear water, I lost him.

I did two laps before diverting off to the pit stop.     Ben was just pulling out as I pulled in, and the evil in me instantly thought, SHITE, now I have a race on my hands.  I am almost up with Doctor Doolittle himself, Mr Ben Jacques!!!!  spent the next lap torturing myself thinking, Ben knows I am on his toes so 'will he, wont he', pull into the next pit stop?   I wasn't going to take any chances.  (what did I say at the beginning of this write up - I am not going to be competitive - I just can't help it).  I swam right past the next pit stop to make up some time and hoped that I would cope with no fluids for the next 4k  Un-be-known to me, poor Ben was in trouble with severe back pain and I was already ahead of him.   Derrick came in first out of the Redcaps, then me, Ben and then my two little water slaves, Helen Wildin and Jane Bell - whom I am so proud of.    Both smashed their targets so went home smiling.  Other Redcaps with great results, Stuart Athol, Shaun Hales and Sarah Macintosh.   My time was 2hrs 49mins, 47secs, a whopping 7 minutes faster than last year.

As we sat on the grass watching the final swimmers come in, I received a text from fellow Redcap, Kirstie.  She was at Lakeside with many other Redcaps where we had great results, including several wins. What a fab weekend for us Redcaps with the swim of the day definitely going to Kirstie who won the 5k at Lakeside in 1hr 9 at the tender age of just 14.

So now I am focusing on my Queens Jubilee Charity Swim which I have organised in the River Crouch. With over 30 swimmers registered, we are looking forward to a fab day and social afterwards and I hope I raise oodles of money for charity.

No comments:

Post a Comment