Friday 30 October 2015

TEAM DOE - 26th July 2015 - The Maldon Triathlon

Swimmer - Me.   Cyclist - Colin Doe.    Runner - Kerry Marshall

So Team Doe are back in action for the third year running.  4th place in Year 1.  1st place in Year 2 and that was after I broke my leg exiting the lake, and another 1st place in Year 3.

Despite not being Mr Doe's PA anymore, Team Doe had vowed to continue to fly the flag for ED&S for another year.  I don't get to see my fellow team mates any more but knew there was only one of us finding the time to train these days and that was Kerry.  She was having a fantastic year.  So, it was all down to Kerry to bring us home.



What an awful day it was.  Half way through the event, the heavens opened and it remained relentless.  Shame the rain couldn't have come a bit earlier for the swim because the river certainly needed some water !    I have never ever, in all my years competing, been in a competition where the tide was out and all the swimmers had to crawl the course on their hands and knees.  It was hilarious.

The Blackwater Estuary is famous for its mud runs and so all swimmers were absolutely caked in mud, sinking way down to their knees and then trying to suck each leg back out again.  So funny.

I, on the other hand was so worried that my 'healed' broken leg was in for a repeat performance, that I decided to pull along the mud on my belly!   We had about 2 foot of water, that's all.

Once we turned the corner, we found some deeper water but it was short lived as we had to do two laps.  So once again, back on my belly, mud waddling.  Twas rather funny though.

It was a long run from the river to my cyclist (well, long for me is actually about 100metres!).  I tentatively tried to jog and wobble to make sure I reached Colin in one piece this time.  It's been less than a year since I had a metal plate fitted in my ankle and so running with bare feet on concrete is not ideal.

Colin did an amazing bike section with a personal best time.  Kerry and I completely underestimated the time he would take and thinking he was still about 10minutes away, Kerry disappeared off to the loo, just as he came around the corner. Typical.

So, despite my mud waddling and the slowest transition in history from cycle to run, Team Doe still bought home the gold.  Another great event which, to my horror, almost went down in history as Colin Corby very nearly beat me on the swim.  Phew.  Must start training !

No comments:

Post a Comment