Thursday 28 August 2014

Eton 10k - 14th June 2014

First race of the season for me and I must say I definitely was not looking forward to it.  I don't know where the time has gone, but for some reason, although I have been training 3 or 4 times a week, I have certainly not been putting the distance in.  Thank god I only entered the 5k, and not the 10k event.  No matter how much you train in a pool, if you haven't been doing long continuous swims, you know it's going to be tough when you do.

About an hour before the event, the heavens opened.  It came down in bucket loads and we all ran for cover under the nearest tent.  The water became even less appealing now.

So, hence I started the long exhausting task of squeezing into my wetsuit thinking that it was going to be a long cold swim.  How wrong was I.

Good old British weather, just twenty minutes before the off, and not a cloud in the sky.  I was tugging at the neck of my wetsuit for air.  I was melting in all that rubber.  Well too late now, I was going to be stuck in it for the duration.


I had no pre-conceived expectations of how I would do, but when the gun went off, I never realised how much of an uncomfortable race this was going to be.  I struggled in my suit, was drinking loads of yukky water and melting fast.   So when the race was finally over, I was glad and exited the water rather weary to say the least.

I won the ladies over 50 event as was 6th fastest female over the line in a time of 1hr 21mins. 6secs.   So, everything considered, I was glad to finish in a reasonable time.


Always makes it a good day when lots of Redcaps are racing too.
Not much more to say on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment