Sunday 1 June 2014

BUDE Channel Challenge - September 2013

Tracy Russell - Pod Mate, settling in.
The busiest weekend of my life, I think.  Below - From left, Dave Southgate, Steve Knights, Jon Yorston, Tracy Kemp, Clive Hatch, Tom Durhsen and Tracy Russell.

So, including me, that makes eight of us, seven squeezed into one Galaxy (Dave went on ahead) with heap loads of wetsuits, towels and nutrition, and we headed off to Cornwall, ready to take on the Bude Challenge which was to swim the equivalent distance of the English Channel in the sea pool at Bude.  The purpose of the swim was to raise money to save the crumbling sea wall. 

We split into two teams and I was especially looking forward to this event as it was a chance to swim with some of my old buddies from Blackwater Triathlon Club.

Back in 2004'ish I used to be the swimming coach and Treasurer of BTC.  And although no longer a member, I was humbled that they contacted me to make up their second team for this epic challenge.

Tracey Kemp - Pod Mate, settling in

Spirits were high as we set off for the eight hour journey with Tracy R in the driver's seat. 

I have to say that having only ever stayed in little less than 5*, not that I'm a snob or anything (but I do like my little luxuries), when we arrived at our little Glamping POD, I chuckled to myself that thank god Chris was not with me on this occasion!



 
Tom D, first off for my team going non-wetsuit
 
Well here they are (above right).  Looking like lots of little beehives all around a BBQ stove.  Each was equipped with blow up beds, ice box, electricity and warmth and more importantly, friends.

I shared with the two Tracy's and to say it slept 3 was a bit of an over-statement.  The three blow up beds were crammed in corner to corner and I think we were all grateful that there was no snoring over this weekend.  Well not from our POD anyway.  If only Chris could see me now.  This would have been his worst nightmare.

A warm welcome was well received as Dave was already there with the BBQ on when we arrived and we cracked open the beer and wine!  Yes, beer and wine.  Well, after all, it was only a channel crossing we were doing at 6am.  Easy Peezy. 

A little sparring match between Tom and Cassie Patten,
Olympic Medalist.





Olympic medalist, Cassie Patten was there to cheer the challengers on and even managed a mile herself.  Our very own Tom D got in and managed to stay on her toes for a whole lap, albeit he did look a little knackered and soon tailed off. 






Not sure which Tracy this is - hard to tell



Here's a few more photo's of our fab weekend together.  Both teams completed the challenge and the heavens opened at the end on our way to the Curry House. 

Great weekend.
Great challenge.
Great friends.
Great time. x.
Holding Cassies Bronze Olympic Medal

A nice birthday treat for Steve K.

No comments:

Post a Comment